PYRAMIDS

PYRAMIDS

https://soundcloud.com/corinna-delgado/pyramids

My Exodus was abrupt.
We were Egypt embodied in a building of pyramids
that was both long suffering and almost mathematically impossible.
Yet
when we bent our angles JUST SO ... "US" was 9th Wonder.
Under fire & dire situation
we still built our foundation
both vertical and across horizons
and I've been
counting sunsets;
tally marks on my heart
marking the days I've been away.
You chose to stay while I pressed forward,
all the while looking behind me
hopin' to see your silhouette on the horizon
you never realizin' / it was YOU who pushed me out.
Banished by your actions -
fractions and subtractions
and no matter how sound the math is
I couldn't solve the equation
of keeping both you AND my self worth.
I could never decipher which comes first,
and much like integers
I never really understood dealing with the negatives.
So I inflicted my own Exodus,
both defeated & abrupt.
But my footsteps were never at a loss for love.
And my gate was always dragging
short width and lacking
my normal humming bird stride.
I kept waiting for you to join my side -
so that we could exit Egypt together
to build measured mountains and miracles
in a place that didn't so much remind us of pain
and didn't so much call for blame
or accountability to destruction.

Construction .... delayed.
That life would never take place.
I stood on the banks of my own Red Sea
I fell to my knees and screamed
"Let my people go" ...

I never once supposed
I would have to exit Egypt alone.